Frequently Asked Questions

How much land do I need to build a residential structure in Jackson County?

Typically, one (1) acre.  Lots subdivided prior to 2008 (establishment of subdivision control ordinance) are ‘grandfathered’ and designated as a building tract, as long as the new home complies with all other applicable zoning and on-site sewage requirements.  The Plan Commission suggests contacting the Building Commissioner to verify building lot eligibility prior to purchasing a property or starting the permitting process.

What is the zoning of my property?

The Jackson County GIS website includes a zoning layer.

Enter the property address, owner name, or parcel number in the search box at the top left corner of the screen and make sure to check "Jackson County Zoning" under the Layer tab at the top of the screen.

How far is my structure required to be from my property lines and the county road?

The table below includes the setback requirements for residential structures in county zoning districts. 
* Note that the Minimum Front Yard Setback is measured from centerline of the County or State road.

Zoning District Front Setback (County Rd. | State Rd.) Side Setback (Residential | Accessory) Rear Setback
AG 60-feet | 90-feet 10-feet | 5-feet 10-feet
FR 60-feet | 90-feet 10-feet | 5-feet 10-feet
R1 60-feet | 90-feet 10-feet | 5-feet 10-feet
R2 60-feet | 90-feet 10-feet | 5-feet 10-feet
LR 60-feet | 90-feet 10-feet | 5-feet 10-feet
GB 60-feet | 100-feet - | 10-feet  - |10-feet
I 100-feet | 200-feet - |50-feet - |50-feet


Do I need a permit to build a fence?

Unincorporated Jackson County does not require a permit to build a fence, however fences are not permitted within platted easement and we recommend having a  boundary survey performed prior to construction.

Can I occupy an RV  on my property?

No.  The County does not permit  Recreation Vehicles as residential structures.

Are all mobile homes permitted in Jackson County?
No, building permits are not issued for mobile homes older than 15 years old.

Can I operate a business out of my home?

Yes, however all home businesses must comply with the Low-impact home occupation standards, set forth in the Jackson County Zoning Ordinance.

Is my property in a Flood Zone?  Can I build in a Flood Zone?

The Indiana Floodplain Information Portal incudes the official flood maps:  Enter the property address in the search box at the top left corner of the screen and make sure to turn on Floodplains (Best Available Data) under the Layers tab at the top of the screen.  A Floodplain Permit and additional development regulations (such as elevating a structure and floodproofing) apply to land grading or construction in designated flood hazard areas.  Development in the Floodway (dashed areas on map) also requires a permit from the Indiana Department of Natural Resources Division of Water.

Does the zoning of my property effect my property taxes?

No, tax rates reflect the use of the land rather than the zoning.  

Does the Planning & Zoning Office enforce regulations regarding weeds, trash, and property maintenance?

Yes, the Jackson County Planning & Zoning office enforces the County's property maintenance ordinance.  

Jackson County Building Commissioner